Port of Tauranga is committed to improving the lives of young Maori through education and provides tertiary scholarships under two schemes. Applications for 2023 scholarships are now open and forms are available on the Port of Tauranga website.
Turirangi Te Kani Memorial
The Turirangi Te Kani Memorial scheme was established more than three decades ago in honour of a much-respected kaumatua within the Tauranga community.
Ngā Mātarae Charitable Trust
Port of Tauranga also administers a scholarship scheme offered by the Ngā Mātarae Charitable Trust. The Trust brings together the Port, three iwi of Tauranga Moana, the Mauao Trust and the Tauranga Moana Iwi Customary Fisheries Trust. The Trust was founded in 2014 to acknowledge the impact on the cultural and spiritual values of local Maori from the Port’s harbour capital dredging project and is funded through an annual grant from the Port. The Trust offers scholarships to tertiary students studying subjects that could benefit Te Awanui Tauranga Harbour.
Who can apply
Applicants must have an affiliation to Tauranga Moana iwi (Ngāti Ranginui, Ngāi Te Rangi, Ngāti Pūkenga). Check the application forms for other criteria. You cannot receive both scholarships at once.
How to apply
Please click on the links below to commence your online application. Prior to commencing and submitting your application, you must have available the following documents:
- Completed Whakapapa form – Endorsed by Kaumatua, Kuia or Marae authority: Whakapapa Form
- Proof of tertiary enrolment – Official evidence from your tertiary provider, including your name and course.
- Proof of course fees paid – Official evidence, eg StudyLink, including your name.
- Proof of academic results – Official evidence from your secondary/tertiary provider, including your name.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Marae/Hapu Reference (Ngā Mātarae only) – A signed letter or reference demonstrating your involvement and being known at local marae/hapū level.
Applications close at midday on Monday 30th January 2023.
Follow the link below to find the online application form for each scholarship.